Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Big Hole in the Ground

When we started planning this trip one of the things everyone wanted to do was head to the Grand Canyon. To achieve this we got up extra early ready for a five thirty am departure.

It soon became apparent that two of the group had stayed out all night. Naughty Mel and Annette.

They gave us a little box of food on the bus. The box contained a yummy muffin, a boring apple and really really gross cheese crackers with peanut butter on them!

I sat next to Deb for the three hour drive and we amused each other discussing life, the universe and embarrassing Susan stories!

First stop at the Canyon was a tourist shop where I bought ear rings and a little bottle of gold. We also made use of the rest rooms! 14 women make a lot of wee wee stops!

We soon made it to the edge of the Canyon. Shock one - there are no safety barriers! A nation that needs to have hand washing instructions on rest room sinks trusts its population to not fall off a huge cliff? Go figure!

We all decided to brave the Skywalk. A huge sheet of glass hanging over the edge of the canyon. Did I do it? Yes. Will I ever do it again? No bloody way! It scared the bejesus out of me. I stayed on long enough to get a photo and then I was gone! I did however take time to notice the crack in the structure near the exit.

I had an ice block whilst I waited for the rest of my crew. The temperature was close to forty again. We eventually all regrouped and caught the bus to our next stop which advertised our free cow boy lunch. I was picturing turkey legs, steaks, buffalo and corn bread. We got meat that looked like dog food. Poor cowboys!

We spent a good hour taking photos next to the dangerous edge of the canyon before boarding the bus back to Vegas. On our return we did cross the Hoover Dam which was pretty cool!

We got back to the Flamingo with a bit of time to spare so a few of us decided to make use of the uber cool pool. They said if you didn't look over forty you would have to show ID. We all got carded except poor Kellie. Although I think this was more because the pool was almost closing rather than her looking more mature than the rest of us!

We headed to the Venetian for dinner at the Grand Lux Cafe. To sped things up we all agreed to sit in smaller groups. Some of us got served really fast, some of us not so much. After dinner we had planned a gondolier ride but they were closed so that was arranged for the next morning.

On the way back to the hotel some of us watch the Bellagio fountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment